Sandblast -a UK charity promoting the voices and visions of the indigenous Saharawi of Western Sahara. These formerly nomadic people have been refugees in the Algerian desert since 1975. Through arts and skills development projects, we seek to bolster their cultural heritage and raise awareness of their ongoing plight.
• Our latest JustGiving campaign has been launched! We are hoping to raise £10,000 over the next 6 months in order to meet the demands of the expanding early-learning project-Stave House in the Sahara . Click here to find out more about how the project is giving Saharawi refugee children opportunities to flourish in the desert and develop music-making and English language skills.
• Sandblast director Danielle Smith meets with Director of the International School in Oradea (Romania), Ahmet Dundar on Sept 23rd. In the meeting, he expressed support to host Saharawi children and teachers from the Stave House in the Sahara programme, for one month, in July 2020.
• We are ecstatic to inform you that our new larger centre for Stave House in the Sahara was inaugurated on Sept 22. Watch a short video tour made by Jack Morgan, our English language volunteer currently training the local teachers.
• On Sept 21, Saharawi activist, Khadija Mohamed Salem, visiting the UK from Spain, made a powerful and inspiring speech (in English) at the Labour party Conference in Brighton. Click here to listen to her.
• TEFL-trained English Language volunteer, Jack Morgan, travels to the camps at the end of August to spend a month training the local English language teachers and to develop the Level 3 curriculum.
• Construction begins for new Stave House in the Sahara centre within the grounds of the Lal Andala primary school in Boujdour camp.
Aziza Brahim at the Jazz Cafe
• 7:00pm, Friday, October 18
Prominent Saharawi singer/activist visits the UK to promote her upcoming third album.
Don't miss the chance to hear Aziza's soulful, compelling voice. To book your tickets click here.
Run the Sahara 2020
• December 1, 2019- Registration deadline
Join the race of a lifetime. You will meet people from around the world, learn about a different culture, experience legendary desert hospitality and make a difference by helping Sandblast raise funds for Stave House in the Sahara.