Saharawi Artivism Fund (SAF)
This fund was created in 2015 to support the strengthening of Saharawi civil society and to encourage small-scale volunteer initiatives that engage the community to bring about positive change in the cultural, social, environmental lives of the Saharawi refugees. Projects receive up to €500 for expenses and must be completed within the year.
Sandblast is working in close partnership with the local Saharawi grassroots volunteer group SCAP, a campaign movement protesting the illegal exploitation of the natural resources of Western Sahara. They are our on-the-ground coordinators for SAF, ensuring its promotion, providing support for the awarded projects and overseeing monitoring.
In May 2016 Sandblast and SCAP awarded SAF funding to FIVE projects. They were for:
- Awareness-raising in Ausserd camp in schools and the community about the dangers of newly introduced electricity power to the camp
- Health and nutrition campaign in Boujdour camp
- Afterschool sports and recreation club for small kids and teenagers in Smara camp
- Mental and physical development activities in Al-Auin camp with Saharawi kindergarden kids
- “Caring for and keeping your environment clean” activities with children in the camp of Boujdour
The SAF is yearly funded through our Run the Sahara fundraising & awareness-raising event, as well as through individual donations. In 2017, we aim to raise £5,000 to award funds to 5 new projects, provide continuity funds for one of the 2016 projects that shows the greatest effectiveness and benefit for the community, and to cover expenses of SCAP for its coordination work.
Are you a community group in the Saharawi refugee camps? Do you have a project you want us to know about?
Check out our SAF application guidelines and contact SCAP and/or Sandblast to learn more.
Jalihenna (SCAP): 00213 (0) 668836028 (phone/Whatsapp)
Danielle (Sandblast): 0044 (0) 7838463310 (phone/Whatsapp)