SAF application guidelines
Who qualifies to apply for SAF?
- A grassroots group project at any stage of development based in any of the Saharawi refugee camps in SW Algeria. This means projects that have been running for a few years, as well as those that have not yet started. If all you have is a great idea (that is well-developed) and the funding can help you make it real, we would still like to hear from you!
- Your group needs to have a minimum of 3 people, so if you're only two, find a third partner! We particularly encourage mixed groups in which men and women work together.
- There is no age limit - everybody with great ideas is welcome to apply.
- Your project should not currently have any funding in place, either through public of private streams. However, it doesn't matter if you have received funding in the past and need a bit more to keep your project going!
What do we mean by activism and community engagement?
Any project or initiative that promotes:
- non-violent direct action
- awareness-raising campaigns
- long-term social change
- engaged journalism
- artistic encounters: music, theatre, poetry workshops, etc.
What projects do we aim to fund?
- After school intergenerational encounters for children to learn about their cultural roots from their elders
- Music skills training workshops between established and amateur musicians
- Theatre performances with delinquent teenagers
- Creative activism for the advancement of the Saharawi self-determination cause
- Independent blogs/websites/magazines
How does it work? How do you apply?
- During the Sahara Marathon (February each year) Sandblast hosts a SAF Application Process workshop in Smara camp open to everybody with an interest in applying. Themes: aims of the SAF; activism & community engagement; application guidelines & form. If you're interested in applying, contact our local partner in the camps on 00213 (0) 668836028.
- Between March 1 and May 1 you can write and submit your application via email or Facebook. You can get in touch with us at any point if you have any questions! Please note that if your application arrives after May 1, it'll be considered for the following edition of the SAF. DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM
- Between May 1 and June 1, Sandblast evaluates the applications and chooses the best two projects in each camp
- Between June 1 and June 15, we interview the runners-up
- By July 1 we will choose the best project in each camp
- 50% of the funds are released in September
- If you are the winner, you should implement your project between September and March of the following year (6 months)
- You should present some results during the Sahara Marathon (February) of the following year; if the progress is adequate, you will then receive the final 50% of the funds
- You need to submit a final report by May 1 of the following year
Please note: Since this is a new project, through the 2016 pilot edition Sandblast will be testing its applicability in collaboration with our partners in the Saharawi refugee camps. Application guidelines may change for the following edition (2017) of the SAF. Your feedback and any ideas you may have to improve the SAF in the coming years are very welcome!
How much can you apply for?
For our pilot stage (2016), the SAF is giving 1 grant of up to 500€ to 5 projects (1 per residential camp). Please note that you can apply for any amount between 100-500€; be realistic with your goals and budget! We may not award the full amount you request if we think you can develop the proposed idea with less.
Who can you contact before submitting an application?
You can write an email to email@example.com with any questions and concerns you may have before May 1, 2016. You can also contact us through Facebook (www.facebook.com/sandblastarts) or Phone/WhatsApp (0044 (0) 7838463310).
How do you acknowledge Sandblast's support?
If your project is successful and you get the SAF grant 2016, we ask that you include Sandblast's logo in all your printed materials (leaflets, posters, etc.), as well as on websites/blogs, videos, presentations, etc. We would also welcome if you can let others know about the SAF, we want to fund and promote as many projects as possible in the next few years!